1 Rep Max* Back Squat
15 Pull Ups
20 Push Ups
30 Wall Ball
rest 1 minute
This week, we take what we learned last week with all the squat therapy work and apply it to heavy loads. Maximal loads. We are going to do a 6-week squat strength cycle in which we both back squat and front squat each week. The rep schemes will be 10 x 3 (10 sets of 3 reps) at a given percentage of your one rep max. That will begin next week. This week we set the baseline.
Performing a 1 rep max squat is not for the faint of heart…or for the inexperienced. One rep max, also written as 1RM, means the heaviest weight you can lift just one time. You could not do a second rep and you could not do one rep with even 5lbs more.
Some lifts lend themselves well to a 1RM. Clean & jerk and snatch are meant to be done in single reps. Pressing lifts like bench and push press also work pretty easily with max loads. With bench press you have a spotter and with push press, if you miss, the bar just returns to your shoulders.
But with back and front squats, extra care is needed under heavy loads. Once you find yourself pinned under a weight you can’t stand up with, well, bad things can happen if you aren’t careful. So a couple of house rules for this test.
- Not everyone will be attempting 1 RM. It’s not appropriate for everyone. For some, a 3 rep max is a more reasonable number (due to the lighter weight), and for others squat therapy with heavier loads is what we are after. Those who should not attempt 1RM may include but not be limited to:
- Those who have a very immature squat (can’t achieve depth with good form in an air squat)
- Those who are relatively new to CrossFit and weightlifting in general. This is different for everyone, but 3 months is a pretty good starting point.
- Those simply not comfortable with it.
- Every heavy attempt will have at least one spotter, but preferably two. Coaches will go over this.
- If you have difficulty achieving depth, or knowing where that is, use a box + plates. If in six weeks, you lift the same weight with better depth, that is success.
- Focus on what you are doing. Let your partner focus on what he/she is doing.
Whatever you do, WRITE IT DOWN! If you do a 3RM or even end up with a 2RM, we can calculate your 1RM, which will be used through the following six weeks. Know your numbers for the squat cycle and let’s see if we can ring the PR bell at the end of it.
Suggested Back Squat Warm Up
You may have to make some estimations of your 1RM if you have never done this. You can also use this calculator if you know your 3 rep max.
2 x 5 @ 50%
5 @ 65%
3 @ 75%
1 x __
1 x __
1 x __