What is CrossFit?
At it’s most simple definition, CrossFit is a strength and conditioning program. It is whole-body fitness regimen that is built on “constantly varied, functional movement at high intensity.” Let’s take a look at those three aspects.
This means that we are always mixing things up. Mixing up the type of exercise (mode) and the duration (time). CrossFit has pulled together the best practices of a broad range of sports to create an overall fitness that does not specialize in any one thing, but does not lack in anything either.
We lift weights. We do body weight movements. We run, jump rope, row.
The Workout of the Day (WOD) is some combination of one or all three of those elements.
Functional movement is simply movement the way your body is designed to do it. These are multi-joint exercises that require and train core strength.
Functional movement patterns are universal and should be practiced the same way by Olympic athletes, kids and the retired cat lady down the street. The only things that changes are the weights and intensity. As said by CrossFit founder Greg Glassman, “The needs of our Olympic athletes and grandparents differ by degree, not kind.”
Intensity simply means doing an exercise with a heavier weight, for a longer distance or in a shorter period of time. Intensity is different for everyone. It is relative to the individual.
Intensity is layered on functional movement. In other words, we look for mechanics, consistency and then intensity. Piling intensity on bad mechanics is a recipe for injury, which is why we have coaches: qualified people who know what proper movement looks and feels like. It’s why we watch you, teach you, cajole you into getting better and better. And we teach you how to scale.
In order to join our CrossFit classes, you must first go through our Foundations program, where we teach you the basics.
Ready to Do This?
Step 1 is we meet and have a 10-15 minute conversation about your goals.
Workout of the DayUnlimited classes
- Unlimited CrossFit Workout of the Day classes (WODs), Boot Camp, and Barbell Bettys classes
- Month to month; No contract
- 15% Discount for First Responders and Active Military
- Advance registration required using Pike13 for iPhone, or Pike13 for Android.
- For persons not vaccinated against COVID-19, masks covering nose and mouth required at all times indoors. Neck Gaiters or other thin stretchy synthetic materials are not accepted as masks.
Drop-InPay as you go
- No contract
- Available for CrossFit, Boot Camp, Barbell Bettys, Legends
FoundationsRequired for CrossFit classes
- Learn the basics of CrossFit
- 1~4 sessions depending on experience
- Not required for Boot Camp, Barbell Bettys or Legends
- Schedule 1-hour sessions individually or email us to ask about taking foundations in 2×2-hour blocks over a single weekend!